Calendário Geopolítico da Semana 7 Outubro 2013
Geopolitical Calendar: Week of Oct. 7, 2013
Editor’s Note: The following is an internal Stratfor document listing significant meetings and events planned for the next week. Stratfor analysts use this to stay informed of the activities and travel of world leaders and to guide their areas of focus for the week.
- Oct. 7: In France, the labor union CGT plans a “Week of Action” to protest against the planned pension reform.
- Oct. 7: The European Central Bank governing council will meet in Frankfurt, Germany.
- Oct. 8: Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras will meet Israeli President Shimon Peres in Jerusalem and attend an Israeli-Greek business conference in Tel Aviv.
- Oct. 10: Air traffic controllers are expected to go on strike in France, Germany, Portugal, Italy and Spain.
FORMER SOVIET UNION
- Oct. 7: Russian President Vladimir Putin will meet with U.S. President Barack Obama on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Bali, Indonesia, to discuss progress on their Syria plan.
- Oct. 7: Ukrainian Prime Minister Mykola Azarov will pay an official visit to Belarus to discuss the current state of trade and economic relations.
- Oct. 9: Azerbaijan will hold its presidential election.
- Oct. 9: Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny’s appeal hearing on his embezzlement conviction is set to begin in Kirov.
- Oct. 10: A Ukrainian government delegation will travel to Washington to continue loan talks with the International Monetary Fund.
- Oct. 7-8: The 21st Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit will be held in Bali, Indonesia.
- Oct. 7-9: Myanmar’s government and the Kachin Independence Organization will hold union-level peace talks.
- Oct. 7-15: New Zealand Finance Minister Bill English will attend meetings of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank governors in Washington.
- Oct. 8-10: South Korea, the United States and Japan will hold naval drills in waters off South Korea’s southern coast to bolster cooperation between their navies.
- Oct. 9-10: The 23rd ASEAN summit will be held in Brunei.
- Oct. 10-12: U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to the Philippines and Malaysia, since President Barack Obama cancelled his visits there due to the government shutdown.
- Oct. 7: Pakistan’s border with China near Khunjerab will open after 10 days of closure in the run-up to Chinese National Day celebrations.
- Oct. 7-8: Indian External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid will visit Sri Lanka in preparation for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting held in Colombo in November.
- Oct. 7-10: Israeli Minister for Trade and Industry Naftali Bennett will visit India.
- Oct. 8: The Indian Cabinet will respond to inquiries by the Madras High Court on the controversial sale of two offshore patrol vessels to Sri Lanka.
- Oct. 8: Pakistani Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Gen. Khalid Shameem Wynne will retire.
- Oct. 10: Pakistani Minister for Petroleum Resources Shahid Khaqan Abbasi will visit Iran to discuss the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline project.
- Oct. 10: The Transport Oil Tankers’ Association in Pakistan will hold a nationwide strike.
MIDDLE EAST/NORTH AFRICA
- Oct. 7: Egypt’s interim President Adly Mansour will visit Saudi Arabia on his first official foreign visit since assuming power in July.
- Oct. 7: Experts from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons will begin testing and cross-checking the data the Syrian government provided on the production and storage of Syrian chemical weapons.
- Oct. 8: Abu Dhabi will host the sixth Emirates International Investment Forum, organized by the Department of Economic Development — Abu Dhabi.
- Oct. 10: The U.N. Security Council will discuss the progress of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons as it works in Syria.
- Oct. 7: The U.S. Supreme Court will publish its decision on the case of Argentina’s outstanding debt to U.S. creditors.
- Oct. 9: The Argentine senate will examine the budget proposal for 2014.
- Oct. 12-17: Indian External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid will tour the Brazilian cities of Manaus, Rio de Janeiro and Brasilia.
- Unspecified date: Proinversion, Peru’s private investment promotion agency, will carry out a mission for Peruvian energy projects in Canada.
- Oct. 7-11: African ministers responsible for mineral resource development will hold their annual session in Bamako, Mali.
- Oct. 8: A Sudanese-Italian Economic Forum will be held in Rome.
- Oct. 10: The U.N. Security Council is scheduled to hold a briefing on Sudan and South Sudan.
- Oct. 10: The Tanzanian opposition coalition plans to hold a nationwide protest in a bid to persuade President Jakaya Kikwete not to proceed with a proposed constitutional amendment.
- Oct. 13: African leaders will meet in Addis Ababa to unify their stance on a proposed pullout from the International Criminal Court in protest of the court’s prosecution of Kenyan leaders.